Did you know the co-op has a fabulous Monthly E-News with all the current co-op goings on, updates from the board, member specials, food links, local producer profiles, and more? If you’d like to be in the loop on what’s happening at the co-op, sign up now!
November 7th, 2017 by admin
The Cortes Natural Food Co-op is looking for a Produce Buyer. This is a year-round position and applicants must commit to working through the summer. Hours vary with the seasons (22-30 hours per week). Duties include ordering, receiving, pricing, training, accounting, stock management, and working with local vendors. Retail experience required; ordering experience preferred. Benefits include competitive pay and a 10% discount on store & cafe purchases. Please bring your resume and/or list of qualifications to the store or send it to eric[at]cortescoop[dot]ca before Wednesday, November 15th.
The Cortes Natural Food Co-op’s Produce Buyer is responsible for selecting, ordering, and merchandising products to meet sales and margin objectives and for providing excellent customer service to customers, co-workers, and vendors.
• Provides excellent and professional customer service both externally and internally
• Accepts responsibility for monitoring and controlling all costs and expenses within the Produce Department including maintaining proper ordering and inventory control, avoiding out-of-stock or over-stock situations, and limiting shrink
• Accepts responsibility for pricing and margin management
• Makes product selection decisions, including adding new items and discontinuing items; performs orders according to schedule
• Receives and inspects incoming orders, including verifying the accuracy of shipment to the invoice, checking charges/credits/discounts on invoice, assessing any shortages and claims to ensure proper billing, ensuring quality of the products, and processing all pre-orders
• Maintains Produce storage areas, ensuring rotation and organization
• Maintains the orderly and clean appearance of the Produce Department, including merchandising, signs, and tags
• Accepts responsibility for the organization and accuracy of all departmental paperwork and computer files
• Assists in training and coaching store clerks in departmental procedures
• Acts as the buyer for local Produce vendors; maintains positive relations with local vendors and buys based on quality, demand, and price while following Co-op policies
• Knows and follows all policies and procedures specific to the Produce Department
• Assists in inventory counts as necessary
• Knows and promotes Co-op principles and mission; ability to explain membership clearly and efficiently; and ability to follow Co-op work policies and procedures
• Keeps supervisor informed of any ideas and/or issues
• Participates in staff meetings as scheduled
• Performs other duties as assigned
• Proven ability to provide excellent, professional customer service
• Available to work a variety of shifts including evenings and weekends
• Basic knowledge of retail concepts and grocery business
• Ability to lead by example and follow Co-op Produce policies and procedures
• Knowledge of natural and organic foods preferred
• Basic computer skills with standard office programs
• Ability to learn Point-of-Sale software
• Willingness to be open, to learn, and to take on new responsibilities
• Excellent communication, organizational and multitasking skills
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
Essential Physical Requirements:
• Standing, walking, bending, sitting, and reaching frequently
• Ability to lift up to 50 pounds repeatedly
• Ability to operate all equipment necessary to perform the job
Fast-paced retail environment. At times may work with or near moving mechanical parts and in hot/cold climate conditions. Ability to work in moderate and loud noise environments. Some office work as well.
November 6th, 2017 by Coreen
Bring your passion for creativity and performance to the stage! Musicians, poets, storytellers, and troubadors ― the friendliest audience is found at the Co-op Cafe’s Open Mic nights.
Love entertainment? Have some stage fright? Don’t worry! Just sit back and enjoy the show.
Doors open at 6:45pm, and the mic opens at 7pm. Admission is FREE!
November 6th, 2017 by Coreen
THE MERMAID’S FEAST
Thursday, November 16th
5:30 or 7:30pm
Drop by the Co-op to book before Wednesday, November 15th
We’re delighted to host Chef Sujon as she prepares a delectable menu for your enjoyment, featuring local bounty from the sea: The Mermaids’ Feast!
Menu — Tapas Style
Garlic & soya seaweed soup
Drunken mussels with white wine & red onions, with garlic butter bread
Miso chili baked oysters
Clam, rice & kelp stuffed squid
Candied salmon salad with higiki
Agar fruit & red bean on shaved ice
Sujon’s passion for real homegrown/made food springs from her Korean family background: her father, the Northern (of beans and potato); her mother, the Southern-raised (of rice and seafood); and her matriarch grandmother and her missionary influences of baking and noodle making. Making taffy from sugar beets, vats of fish sauce and herbal tonics were part and parcel to building her faith in patience, self-reliance and creative ingenuity.
With the Mermaids’ Feast, Sujon brings together the love and respect for her heritage, her cultural manifestation(s) and aspirations celebrating with family and friends. She hopes to share her years as an organic gardener, shellfish farmer and cultural “mis-appropriator,” cultivating, creating and celebrating food that nurtures well-being and inspires deeper connections with our physical world: the integrity of land and ocean, the beautiful treasures of Cortes Island, our home.
November 4th, 2017 by Coreen
Order by 3pm each Friday by calling the Co-op Cafe at -6505. Pizzas can be picked up between 5:30 and 7:00pm that day.
- Cheese: feta, mozzarella, & Parmesan
- Vegetarian: spinach, caramelized onion, red pepper, olives, feta, & mozzarella
- Hawaiian: mozzarella, ham, & pineapple
- Meat: mozzarella, caramelized onions, sausage, & bacon
- Supreme: sausage, caramelized onions, sauteed peppers, mushrooms, spinach, & bacon (pesto sauce alternative)
Gluten-free pizza crusts only $2 more.
September 3rd, 2017 by admin
Then we’ve got the job for you! The Cortes Natural Food Co-op is looking for a cleaner who can work independently with a strong attention to detail. Cleaning takes place in the evening or early morning. Position is part-time and year-round. Duties include general cleaning, floor care & waxing, laundry, and special cleaning projects. Experience preferred but not necessary. Benefits include competitive pay, tips, and a 10% discount on store & cafe purchases. Please bring your resume and/or list of qualifications to the store or send it to eric[at]cortescoop[dot]ca before Friday, September 15th.